The University of Houston Libraries serves University of Houston students, faculty, staff and the scholarly community.
The system comprises the MD Anderson Library, the William R. Jenkins Architecture and Art Library, the Weston A. Pettey Optometry Library, and the Music Library, providing access to over 3.2 million volumes. Resources include over 600 databases, approximately 94,000 e-journal titles, over 655,000 e-books, and 1,100 print journal subscriptions.
The MD Anderson Library has over 300 computers divided between two labs for the students, faculty, and staff of the University of Houston. The Academic Research Center focuses on the research and study needs of patrons, while the Learning Commons caters to their high-end multimedia and collaborative study needs.
The UH Libraries Strategic Plan 2017-2021 is guided by the Libraries’ shared organizational values, input from the Office of the Provost, and is closely aligned with University priorities. The goals and initiatives of this document will provide guidance for departments, functional units, and individuals over the next five years.
UH Libraries Mission
University of Houston Libraries advances student success, knowledge creation and preservation, and globally competitive research.
UH Libraries Vision
A community nurtured by curiosity and creativity that drives lifelong learning and scholarship.
There are other libraries on the UH main campus that are not a part of the UH Libraries system. These are the Conrad N. Hilton Library & Archives and the John O'Quinn Law Library, and they are managed and maintained by their home colleges. Through a collaboration between libraries, students and faculty of UH Clear Lake and UH Downtown have the ability to check out circulating volumes.
About the MD Anderson Library
The MD Anderson Library was occupied in 1950 and dedicated on April 1, 1951. Since then, three additions have been made. The first was completed in 1968 and is known as the Blue Wing (architects: Staub and Rather, expanded to Staub, Rather, and Howze). The second was completed in 1977, and is formally named for MD Anderson Foundation trustee John H. Freeman, but is better known as the Brown Wing (architects: Kenneth Bentsen Associates). The third was completed in 2005 and is called the Gold Wing (architects: Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott). This addition, designed in conjunction with a major renovation of the existing building, added 48% more space to the library.
For more information, please see this more detailed history of the Libraries.