What is web-scale discovery and why does it matter?
Find out at Discovery Day Camp! This event will introduce the fundamentals of next-generation discovery and provide an opportunity for attendees to discuss the unique teaching, technology, and support aspects of discovery tools in a roundtable format. Discovery Day Camp is intended for libraries that have a discovery platform in place or want to learn more about them. Attendees are encouraged to bring their experiences and questions to share. No prior experience with web-scale discovery tools is required.
When is the Discovery Day Camp?
When: Friday, June 10, 2011
8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Where: University of Houston
M.D. Anderson Library
If you have questions about the event, please contact either:
- Anne Mitchell, Head of Cataloging & Electronic Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, 713-743-9685
- Rachel Vacek, Head of Web Services, email@example.com, 713-743-5820
Web-Scale Discovery Topics
These are just some of the potential topics that will be addressed throughout the Day Camp.
- training staff
- usage data/analytics/patterns
- data integration
- use of API/mashups
- unique collections
- user experience
- metadata optimization
- transaction logs
- comparison w/google scholar
- audience (student/faculty, novice/advanced)
- website integration
- faceted navigation
- gathering user feedback
- staff support