The University of Houston Libraries provides computers and other equipment to assist students, faculty and staff with disabilities.
There are three computers in the Academic Research Center equipped with assistive technology.
- 22” Wide-screen monitors with removable privacy films
- Adjustable-height desks
- RollerBall mice, Braille keyboards
- ZoomText (software for screen magnification)
- Dragon Naturally Speaking speech-to-text software
- A printer and print release station are conveniently located nearby.
- These computers are CougarNet-enabled so you can easily access materials stored in your account.
Additional equipment is available in the M.D. Anderson Library’s assistive technology room (“ADA Room,” 106-D).
- Optelec Spectrum text magnifier with variable color for text and background.
- Computer terminal with wide-screen monitor and CougarNet access.
- Kurzweil 1000 software and scanner.
The key to this room is available for check-out from the Service Desk.
Staff at both the Service Desk and the Information Desk will retrieve library materials for patrons with disabilities. Call 713-743-9710 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Connect from Home or Office
Remote access to electronic journals, electronic books, electronic reserves and databases for UH faculty, staff and students.
Need Help? Ask a Librarian!
Information Desk: 713-743-1050 (option 2)
Service and Information Desk staff stand ready to help you if you need assistance with equipment or library services.
If you have suggestions for additional equipment, software or other assistive technology services, please contact:
Lee Andrew Hilyer, MLIS, M.Ed.
Head of Information & Access Services,
email@example.com | 713-743-9714