- Current University of Houston students only.
- This service is not available to borrowers from UH Downtown or UH Clear Lake, or holders of Associates, Alumni, Texshare or Houston Borrowing Program cards.
Wireless Network Account:
- Users who wish to access the Internet must apply to UH Information Technology for a CougarNet account.
- Laptops can be borrowed for a 3-hour period and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- One laptop checkout per day, per person.
- Laptops must be returned to the Service Desk.
- There are no renewals or holds.
- Laptops must remain inside the security gates of the library at all times.
- Laptops must be returned before closing.
- A power cord will be checked out with the laptop.
Fines and replacement charges:
- The fine for an overdue laptop is $10.00/hour. No maximum limit. This is a flat hourly rate and is not pro-rated.
- The replacement fee for a lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed laptop is $2,000.00.
- Fees for lost, stolen or broken component parts:
CD Drive: $100.00
AC adapter and power cord: $50.00
Applications available on Laptops:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Power Point
- Microsoft Excel
- Internet Explorer 6.0
- UH VPN Client 3.6
Web browser plug-ins on laptops:
- Acrobat Reader 126.96.36.1992
- AlternaTiff 1.5.2
- Citrix Ica Client 6.20.985.0
- CPC View 188.8.131.52
- DJVu 3.6.2
- Flash 184.108.40.206
- GSview 3.4
- JPrint 220.127.116.11
- QuickTime 18.104.22.168
- RealOne 22.214.171.1240
- Shockwave 126.96.36.199
- Windows Media Player 188.8.131.5287
Web browser page encoding schemes on laptops:
- Central European
- Chinese simplified
- Western European
- All laptops require a CougarNet account for login and use. This provides all borrowers with access to their own individual CougarNet profile, drives, accessibility to saved documents, etc.
- The laptops are configured to print via the print management system. You will need your UH ID card to release your print job. Laptops print to the public printer in the ARC. Username is LaptopXX (XX being the number of the laptop).
- Never leave the laptop unattended. As long as the laptop is checked out on your account, you are responsible.
- If the laptop fails or appears not to work, return it immediately to the Service Desk for assistance or to exchange it for another one.
- For questions regarding the wireless network, contact UH Information Technology - (713) 743-1411.