The Academic Research Center is a computing facility that focuses on the research and study needs of students, faculty, and staff of the University of Houston. A valid CougarNet account is required to use the computers in this area.
The Academic Research Center is a Business Zone; conversations and group study are expected, and there are no restrictions on cell phone usage. This area may be noisy. For Quiet or Silent Zones locations, please see http://info.lib.uh.edu/policies/study-areas
Contact the ARC Support Desk directly at 713-743-3412, or via the Information Desk at 713-743-1050 (option 2)
Equipment and Software
All computers in the ARC are available on a first-come, first-served basis. No reservations are allowed.
- 31 Dell Optiplex PCs with dual monitors
- 200 Dell Optiplex PCs with a single monitor
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
Public Computer usage policy:
Computer terminals with various assistive technologies (AT) are available in the Academic Research Center, including specialized software for the visually impaired, a special mouse for those with limited hand mobility, and adjustable height work surfaces to adapt to different heights of wheelchairs.
Assistive Technology usage policy:
Group Study Rooms
5 Group Study rooms are available to reserve. Rooms include Dell Optiplex PC and large screen monitor.
- These rooms may be used by a minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 patrons to ensure compliance with local fire codes.
- Food may not be brought into the group study rooms. Beverages in approved containers are allowed.
- Patrons are responsible for the state of the equipment in each room. This includes chairs, tables, dry erase boards, computers and monitors, and any other technology provided by the library for patrons.
- Patrons who ignore or break policies may be banned from these facilities indefinitely.
To Reserve a Room
Visit the Room Reservation System and log in with your CougarNet account information. Reservations may be placed up to a week in advance. To check out your room key, please visit the Service Desk.
CougarNet and Passwords
CougarNet accounts give access to, and file space on, university Windows computing resources. For more information on CougarNet accounts, please see
8 dedicated password reset computers are available in the ARC