The Academic Research Center (ARC) is a computer lab focusing on the research and study needs of students, faculty, and staff at the University of Houston. A valid CougarNet account is required to use computers in this area.
The ARC is a Business Zone; conversations and group study are expected, and there are no restrictions on cell phone usage. This area may be noisy.
For quieter locations, learn more about library study areas
Equipment and Software
All computers in the ARC are available on a first-come, first-served basis. No reservations are allowed.Computers
- 31 Dell Optiplex PCs with dual monitors
- 200 Dell Optiplex PCs with a single monitor
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
Computer terminals with various assistive technologies (AT) are available in the Academic Research Center, including specialized software for the visually impaired, a special mouse for those with limited hand mobility, and adjustable height work surfaces to adapt to different heights of wheelchairs.
Group Study Rooms
5 group study rooms are available to reserve. Rooms include Dell Optiplex PC and large screen monitor.
- These rooms may be used by a minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 patrons to ensure compliance with local fire codes.
- Food may not be brought into the group study rooms. Beverages in approved containers are allowed.
- Patrons are responsible for the state of the equipment in each room. This includes chairs, tables, dry erase boards, computers and monitors, and any other technology provided by the library for patrons.
- Patrons who ignore or break policies may be banned from these facilities indefinitely.
To Reserve a Room
Visit the Room Reservation System and log in with your CougarNet account information. Reservations may be placed up to a week in advance. To check out your room key, please visit the Service Desk.
CougarNet and Passwords
CougarNet accounts give access to, and file space on, university Windows computing resources.
There are 8 dedicated CougarNet password reset computers available in the ARC.