The Learning Commons is an academic computing facility (located on the first floor of M.D. Anderson Library) that caters to the high-end multimedia and collaborative needs of students, staff, and faculty of the University of Houston. It not only provides a wide array of digital media creation resources, but also gives its users opportunities to learn about new technology, receive assistance with specialized research software, and collaborate on projects with one another in a space designed for group work. Our friendly staff is trained in the many software titles and equipment resources offered and are available to help with any questions or assistance you may need. The Learning Commons provides tools to maximize the potential of student projects and research activities.
All of the computers in the Learning Commons are available for reservation via the link below as well as at the Learning Commons front desk. Reservations may be made up to 1 week in advance and are in 2 hour increments. All you need is a CougarNet account to log in to the reservation website!
Important: You will have 5 minutes from the beginning of the reservation period to log into the reserved computer or room. If you have not logged into it by the end of the 5 minute window, the computer or room you reserved will be released to the next patron in line!
Virtual Learning Commons
The Virtual Learning Commons is a way to connect to a Virtual PC that has all the software of the Learning Commons computers. Printing is the same as on the computers in the Learning Commons. MATLAB is not available. The Virtual Learning Commons are available anywhere, on almost any device, and at any time.
Services and Equipment
Some of the services and equipment we provide are as follows:
- 49 Dell Optiplex PCs with dual 24" widescreen monitors
- 24 Apple iMacs
- Multimedia creation software (Adobe Master Collection, Camtasia, Apple iLife)
- Numerical analysis software (SPSS, Matlab)
- Productivity software (Microsoft Office, EndNote)
- Self-guided help manuals and how-to reference books for provided software titles
- Color, black and white printers
- Stationary and mobile markerboards (need a marker? ask the front desk!)
• Adobe CS5 Master Collection • AutoCAD • Audacity • Camtasia Studio 5 • EndNote X1
• Mathematica 7 • Matlab R2010a • Microsoft Office 2010 (with 2007 project and visio)
• Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 • SPSS 18.0
• Adobe CS5 Master Collection • Audacity • EndNote X1 • Final Cut Pro • Mathematica 7
• Matlab R2010a • Microsoft Office 2011 • SPSS 18.0 • Taco HTML Editor
Hamill Foundation Multimedia Studio
The Learning Commons is home to the new Hamill Foundation Multimedia Studio. The studio features a set of audio recording booths and professional grade equipment to help students, staff, and faculty create quality productions. Visit the Learning Commons front desk to learn more and schedule an appointment.
Hours of Operation
The Learning Commons will be open during the same hours as the library.
Learning Commons Front Desk 713-743-2696
114 University Libraries
Houston, TX 77204-2000