A $7.50 printing credit is added to active UH student, faculty, and staff Cougar Cards at the start of every semester. The account is charged for every side of a page that is printed.
- Black-and-white printing costs 1.5 cents/side
- Color printing costs 3 cents/side
- Copies are 1.5 cents/side (black-and-white only)
The $7.50 printing credit can only be used for printing and copying. Printing credits do not roll over into the next semester.
After all print credits are used, additional printing is charged to CougarCard Flex accounts. Funds can be added via AccessUH.
Using print release stations
Print jobs are released and printed at one of the print release stations located throughout the library. Locate a station after sending your document to print. Note that color printing can only be done at release stations marked "Color Printing Station."
To release a print job,
- Enter your CougarNet username and password
- Swipe your CougarCard
- Your pending print jobs will appear, along with your remaining print balance. Select the document(s) that you want to print, and Select "Print"
- Please remain at the printer until all your jobs have completed. Report any problems to the Service Desk.
All UH Libraries computers are equipped to send documents to release stations.
Printing with personal computers
Download the packages below to print black-and-white pages from your personal computer within the library. Print jobs are released from any of the black-and-white printers on the first floor in the Academic Research Center.
Download printer package for Windows (exe, 2.2mb). Running the package will install a new printer named "Public Printer" to your machine.
Download printer package for Mac (zip, 760kb).
- After extracting the zip, run "Popup.pkg" to install Pharos to your machine
- Go to "Printers & Scanners" in your System Preferences
- Click the + icon to add a printer, and select "Advanced." You may need to customize the toolbar to see the Advanced option. Right-click the toolbar to customize it.
- Under Advanced, input the following settings:
Type: Pharos Print Server
Name: Library Black & White
Use: Generic PostScript Printer
- The printer should be available under the print option in any application
Having problems? Visit the Service Desk or the Technology Consultation Room for help.
Printing with mobile devices (via email)
- Send your document to the proper email address:
- If you are a first-time user, an email will be sent to you with a link to register your CougarNet account before printing
- An email confirmation will be sent when your documents are ready for release
- Mobile print jobs are released from the Express Print Station in MD Anderson Library, across from the Service Desk
Support file formats for mobile printing are .pdf, .doc, .dot, .docx, .rtf, .eml, .xls, .xlt, .xlsx, .csv, .ppt, .pptx, .pptm, .htm, .html, .mht, .txt.
Printing for visitors
If you are an unaffiliated visitor to UH Libraries, speak with Libraries staff about printing. Printing services for visitors are limited, so we generally recommend bringing a USB flash drive to save documents and articles for bringing documents home to print.
If there is a problem while printing (paper jams, out of toner, etc.), Libraries staff will be able to reprint your job for you, without any extra charge to your account. We will not reprint or give refunds to user errors (wrong page printed, etc.). Visit the Service Desk for immediate help.
Still have questions? Contact us or visit any service desk for help.